CSCE 670 :: Information Storage and Retrieval :: Spring 2019
Back to main page
Week 1 (Jan 14/16/18) :: Intro to course + Overall Search Architecture + Open Issues
- As We May Think, Vannever Bush (1945)
- IIR Chapter 19
- Search Engine History
- The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine, Brin and Page, WWW 1998.
- A taxonomy of web search, Broder, SIGIR Forum 2002.
- Modern Information Retrieval: A Brief Overview, Singhal, IEEE Data Eng. Bull., vol. 24 (2001)
- IIR 1, 2 (omit 2.3), 3.1
- Optional: Web Crawling, Olston and Najork, 2010.
Inverted files for text search engines, Zobel and Moffat, 2006.
Week 2 (Jan
21/23/25) :: Modeling Text (TFIDF + BM25)
Week 3 (Jan 28/30, Feb 1) :: Link Analysis (PageRank + HITS)
Week 4 (Feb 4/6/8) :: Evaluation + Learning to Rank
Week 5 (Feb 11/13/15) :: Neural Methods for IR
word2vec + recent results:
Week 6 (Feb 18/20/22) :: Systems Issues in IR, then Start Recommenders Intro + Collaborative Methods
- Google File System (GFS) paper. Skim the paper with the goal of understanding the high-level design of a GFS cluster. Pay more attention to section 2 (Design Overview) and section 3 (System Interactions)
- MapReduce paper. Try to get a sense of how simple the MapReduce framework, how it works, and why was it so successful.
Week 7 (Feb 25/27, Mar 1) :: Matrix Factorization
Week 8 (Mar 4/6/8) :: Review + Midterm
On Monday March 4, we'll wrap-up from the previous week. We'll hold an in-class review on Wednesday, March 6. The exam will take place in-class on Friday, March 8.
Spring Break (Mar 11/13/15)
Week 9 (Mar 18/20/22) :: Recommendation with Implicit Feedback
Week 10 (Mar 25/27/29) :: Neural Methods for Recommendation
- Chapter 1 (Intro), Chapter 2 (Overview of RecSys and DL), and Chapter 4 (Future Directions) from Zhang, Shuai, Lina Yao, and Aixin Sun. "Deep learning based recommender system: A survey and new perspectives." 2017.
- Sedhain, Suvash, et al. "Autorec: Autoencoders meet collaborative filtering." 2015.
- Wu, Chao-Yuan, et al. "Recurrent recommender networks." WSDM 2017.
- He, Xiangnan, et al. "Neural collaborative filtering." WWW 2017.
Week 11 (Apr 1/3/5) :: Attacks on Recommenders; Hot Topics: Misinformation
Week 12 (Apr 8/10/12) :: Hot Topics: Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency
Background and motivating examples:
Week 13 (Apr 15/17/
19) :: Hot Topics: Question Answering
Week 14 (Apr 22/24/26) :: Hot Topics: Conversational IR
Project Showcase (Apr 29/30)
The project showcase will take place on Monday April 29 and Tuesday April 30 during our regular classtime.
Final Exam (May 6, 3:30-5:30pm)
We will hold out final exam on May 6 (this is a Monday) from 3:30 to 5:30pm.